Sunday, 31 August 2014
Is the answer at the bottom of an ice-bucket?
Everyone by now will have heard of the "Ice Bucket Challenge". For those of you unaware or in the know, but with your heads buried blissfully in the sand, this involves:
- pouring a bucket of ice-cold water over yourself
- filming yourself and uploading the clip onto social media
- nominating three others who should take part in the same challenge within 24 hours
- making a charitable donation to the ALS (http://www.alsa.org/)
This craze has gripped the English-speaking world.
What about in the French and Spanish speaking world?
* Leading French singer and actor Johnny Hallyday rose up to the challenge, nominated by fellow actor Tom Cruise
* Diva Shakira carried out the challenge alongside her boyfriend and Barcelona footballer, Gerard Piqué
* Presidente Enrique Peña Nieto turned down the challenge, however, made a donation to the ALS.
While the idea is brilliant and the cause is deserving with $100 million raised so far, this is as much an awareness campaign as it is fundraising.
So I invite all of you to read some facts here about the ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or better known as motor neurone disease):
And if you do get nominated, it's really up to you what you do:-
* Take up the ice-bucket challenge
* Donate to the ALS
* Take up a different challenge
* Donate to a different cause
Personally, I haven't taken up the challenge. But then again, I haven't been nominated yet!
Finally, to my French and Spanish speaking readers: tell me if the craze has reached your corner of the world!
Image featured on Courrierinternational.com, with thanks to Mix and Remix for the cartoon design.